As a spiritual advisor I specialize in relationship counseling. About 90% of the requests I receive for readings deal with relationship issues. About 95% of my clientele are female. One of my favorite Tarot spreads is the one I do for relationships. It is an 8-card spread that is rather popular among tarot readers. This spread not only highlights the strengths and weaknesses of the relationship in question; it also provides insight into how the two partners view each other. As with most tarot spreads, it concludes with a possible outcome (card 8).
Every tarot card can be related to relationships, but when dealing with the problems or obstacles of a union there are some cards that can indicate distinct circumstances. Part 1 of this blog series deals with the minor arcana or pip cards from the 2’s to the 10’s (I will deal with the Aces in a separate post). The court cards will be presented in part 2; the major arcana will be discussed in part 3 and part 4 will be reserved for the Aces. Rather than providing a monotonous list of keywords for each card discussed, I will provide scenarios that will hopefully stimulate your imagination and provide more clarity than an enumeration of traits. So, let’s get started.
Part 1a: Tarot Cards for Relationship Issues (numbers 2 to 5)
- 2 of Wands: Michael and Sandy are in a relationship, but Michael is still looking elsewhere for fulfillment not being content just with Sandy. Sandy realizes that she is off to a good start with Michael, but there is still more campaigning that she needs to do.
- 2 of Pentacles: Tariq is ambivalent when it comes to his relationship with Vanessa. Tariq considers giving his co-worker his number just in case things don’t work out with Vanessa.
- 2 of Swords: Theresa is emotionally numb to Brian’s attempts to win back her affection. Theresa is indecisive about giving Brian another chance. Brian wishes that Theresa would get off the fence and stop being so tense.
- 2 of Cups Reversed: Lonnie and Simone have decided to call it quits because they just can’t see eye-to-eye. Both Lonnie and Simone are very distraught, but are not willing to give it another try.
- 3 of Pentacles: George and Lisa have entered into a relationship mainly due to material goals. They are both too concerned about status in this union. They are yuppies who met at work.
- 3 of Swords: Victor feels heartbroken because Blanca wants to separate. Blanca hasn’t been able to deal with much stress since her father died a month ago. She is bent on reducing the stressors in her life and her relationship with Victor is one of them.
- 3 of Cups: Ursula is celebrating her divorce from Brad. Ursula filed for divorce because Brad wanted to continue to play the field. Brad is happy now that he can party hardy.
- 4 of Pentacles: Jon is holding onto Wendy for dear life. Wendy has moved on, but Jon feels that he still has a chance.
- 4 of Swords: Brenda is carefully contemplating whether she should enter into a relationship with Marcus. Marcus is wondering why Brenda has withdrawn from active involvement with him.
- 4 of Cups: Jamal feels bored in his relationship with April. He is apathetic to her attempts to please him. Jamal feels stuck in a rut and April is considering a different approach to combat this stagnation.
- 5 of Wands: Jill’s friends wonder why she stays with Jack because they are always bickering. Jill’s friends believe that Jack needs to prove himself in order to show that he is worthy. Jill’s friends add fuel to the fire with their input.
- 5 of Pentacles: Tom and Helen’s relationship is on the rocks due to financial problems. Tom feels that Helen puts money before love. Helen says: “Love does not put food on the table”. Georgia feels rejected by Otis because he no longer calls or texts her.
- 5 of Swords: Kim is very abusive toward Chris. Chris is humiliated by Kim’s treatment of him in public. Kim is also very jealous and vindictive. She once broke Chris’s cellphone due to a text from his female relative. Kim derives pleasure out of making Chris upset.
- 5 of Cups: Tony and Carrie are experiencing emotional turmoil as a result of Carrie’s 3rd miscarriage. They are not sure if they want to try again even though hope still remains.
These are just a few scenarios that these cards can represent. Of course each card discussed above can have other meanings; the scenarios describe just one of the possible circumstances that may be underfoot. Even those cards that are generally positive in their meaning can indicate problems such as the 3 of Cups and 2 of Wands. When trying to interpret cards for relationship readings, keep it simple and always relate them to human nature. It helps to create hypothetical scenarios for a deeper understanding of the energies at play. Do not limit yourself to just keywords. Play with scenarios!
Part 1b will be posted tomorrow.