Day 4: The Believers (1987)
Why I love it:
- It’s a combination of horror, suspense and psychological thriller all rolled up into one.
- The plot is essentially about a cult that engages in the ritual sacrifice of children in exchange for wealth and power.
- The prominent use of black magic–namely a particular brand of African juju.
- The religion of Santeria is prominently featured as a combative force against the black magic being used.
- The plot is steeped in truth: According to reports, there are people in the upper echelons of society that practice ritual sacrifice in exchange for wealth and power (i.e. Illuminati).
- The special effects and make up are pretty good for an 80’s film.
- The trailer scared the crap out of me when I was a kid which for me, meant it was a must-see.
- There’s a nice twist at the climax of the film which will make you question how well you know your friends and loved ones.