Day 5: The Exorcist (1973)
Why I love it:
- It’s a movie based on a book that is based on true events.
- It’s about demonic possession as a result of messing around with a Ouija board.
- The movie begins in Iraq where Father Merrin finds a menacing statue of the offending demon Pazuzu. Pazuzu has a beef with Father Merrin because Merrin exorcised him from another possessed victim in the past.
- The acting is superb especially from Linda Blair, Jason Miller (plays the role of Damien Karras, the reluctant and self-doubting priest) and Ellen Burnstyn . Horror movies don’t get much better than this.
- It’s a 70’s horror flick
- The vulgar language the demon-possessed Regan uses is in your face, shocking, sexually perverse, and downright blasphemous which makes it believable if you know a thing or two about demons.
- The spinal tap scene looks very real and is almost as frightening as the scenes where the demon is acting out.
- The scene where the priest walks into the church and witnesses the desecration of the Virgin Mary.
- People prematurely walking out of movie theatres when the film was originally released because it was so scary.
- The series of unfortunate events including deaths that occurred during filming which resulted in “The Curse of the Exorcist” legend.