Day 9: Angel Heart (1987)
Why I love it:
- It’s a film about selling your soul for fame and the consequences that result from making a deal with the Devil.
- Mickey Rourke and Robert Deniro — nuff said.
- Lisa Bonet (The Cosby Show) stars as Epiphany Proudfoot, the Voodoo priestess who enters into a sexual relationship with Harry Angel, Mickey Rourke’s character. Bonet’s involvement with this film was very controversial at the time since Lisa Bonet was on the squeaky-clean Cosby Show. At the time, Bill Cosby objected to 19 year old Lisa’s role in the film due to the graphic sex scenes and her appearing topless.
- The trailer scared the crap out of me as a kid. I was 11 when the movie was released. Growing up in a Christian household, I was both fascinated and frightened by the theme and clips from the film.
- The movie features Voodoo, a religion that has always fascinated me.
- Robert Deniro plays the Devil and his character’s name is Louis Cypher — aka Lucifer. A clever play on names (homophone in literary license).
- Astrology is briefly featured in the film when Harry Angel goes to an Astrologer as part of his investigation. When he asks her to do his chart, the Astrologer says “I don’t think you would like what I see, Mr. Angel”.
- It’s based on the book “Falling Angel” by William Hjortsberg.
- It’s one of my favorite movies of any genre– hands down.
- Some of the sex scenes had to be edited to bring the movie rating down from X to R.