Evil Dead 2 (1987)
Why I love it:
- It’s the perfect blend of horror and comedy. This movie is actually a parody of the original Evil Dead that was released in 1981.
- Bruce Campbell who plays Ash, the main character, is absolutely awesome with his emotional meltdowns, hilarious facial expressions, and do or die persona. He takes quite a beating throughout the film and he refuses to give up.
- The plot is about a recording of a passage from the Necronomicon, the infamous book that according to legend, is used to invoke demons. The recording unleashes this demonic force when Ash and his girlfriend, Linda find it in an empty cabin and play it. This is where I turn the sound down, because those words sound like they could be the real deal and I’m not taking any chances!
- Right before Ash gets possessed, you hear this growling sound that’s very deep and dark which lets you know that the demons are coming. Very scary part.
- The make up is excellent for the 80’s and if you like gore, there’s plenty of it.
- The scene where Ash springs out of the ground after being possessed and he’s all ghoulish looking howling at the rising sun.
- The scene where he tries to drive back and the bridge is broken and mangled. Frightening as hell.
- The chainsaw scene.
- The amputated hand scene.
- The cellar door scene.
- Did I mention that it’s funny as hell?
- It’s ridiculous, off the chain, and full of adrenaline.