The Entity (1983)
Why I love it:
- It’s a movie that’s based on a book that is based on true events.
- It’s about a single mother who is tormented by a violent incubus simply known as The Entity.
- The loud thumping sound that is heard before the demonic spirit tries to sexually assault Carla Moran, played by Barbara Hershey. It’s one of the scariest sounds to be featured in a motion picture.
- After experiencing a bunch of paranormal activity Carla takes her kids and flees to her friend’s house which is the most sensible thing to do. This reflects what occurs in the book.
- The scene where The Entity takes control of Carla’s car causing her to have an accident.
- The scene where Carla is attacked in the bathroom.
- The scene where she is attacked in the living room in front of the kids.
- The scene where Carla is attacked in front of her boyfriend and there are indentations on her breast where the incubus is violating her.
- The film features university-level paranormal researchers just like in the book. These parapsychologists use a very scientific approach to get down to the bottom of the psychic attacks.
- I like that the movie ends with the incubus issue not being fully resolved which is more realistic than a happily ever after ending. The ending of the book was very disappointing so the film’s version is actually preferable.