Sleepaway Camp (1983)
Why I love it:
- It’s a b-movie horror flick about a misfit girl named Angela who is sent to Camp Arawak for the summer. Murders begin occurring at the camp. Most are written off as accidents.
- This movie is really twisted and it touches on some sexual taboos–at least for that time period. It’s underlying subject matter is controversial and shocking.
- Speaking of twisted, there’s a crazy twist at the ending. I won’t spoil it for those who want to watch it, but for a teenage girl seeing this for the first time I was totally flabbergasted. Seeing it later as an adult, well, let’s just say, it’s disturbing.
- My sister, who’s a Scorpio put me on to this film when I was a teen. It blew me away. Scorpio has a knack for doing that.
- The scene where the cook gets done in by the boiling water. The kids didn’t get corn that night.
- The beehive scene.
- The scene on the beach where Angela has a flashback about seeing her so-called straight father in bed with another man.
- The curling iron scene.
- This movie is more psychological horror than anything else; the murder scenes being too over the top to be taken seriously. It is the plot twist that leaves the lasting impression upon you.
- The archery scene.
- The final scene is one of the most creepiest and twisted of any horror films that I have seen. As stated above, it will leave a lasting impression upon you.