The Ninth Gate (1999)
Why I love it:
- It’s not really a horror movie, but a suspense/thriller. However, it still made my list due to the plot which centers on a rare book dealer who has been hired by professor Boris Balkan to authenticate a book that is believed to summon the devil.
- Johnny Depp plays the main character, Dean Corso and he does a good job of portraying a sleazy book dealer.
- The people who are after the book are wealthy a la Eyes Wide Shut and it touches on the notion that there are secret satanic societies that exist among the elite.
- It’s a movie about occult books and I love occult books.
- The movie is filmed in various places in Europe which gives it both a romantic and mysterious appeal.
- It was produced, directed and co-written by that little goblin, Roman Polanski. Polanski brought us his first satanic-themed film, Rosemary’s Baby (1968) and his wife was Sharon Tate, one of the victims of the infamous Manson murders. Polanski has been involved in a number of questionable circumstances which causes me to suspect him of belonging to one of these satanic secret societies. He sure knows a lot about these sinister groups it seems.
- The scene where Corso finds his dead book dealing business partner in the form of the Tarot’s Hanged Man.
- The scene where Corso finds the Baroness Kessler dead in the wheelchair with her tongue hanging out. The part where her wheelchair goes speeding into the flames is hilarious.
- The scene where Boris Balkan crashes the satanic ceremony.
- The scene where Balkan tries to open the 9th gate to achieve invincibility and immortality, but to his chagrin, he only manages to achieve self-immolation.